Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Aden to the ER



I came home from my hair appointment yesterday to find Aden having some difficulty breathing. His words were *broken* as though he wasn't getting enough air. I first tried to take him to an after hours clinic here in Van Buren, but they told me to take him to the ER, so off to Summit we went. They did x-ray, a breathing treatment, and gave him a shot of antibiotics. The ER doctor said that he believed it was severe bronchitis and to follow-up with our pediatrician today. Aden was prescribed some antibiotics and an inhaler with a mask for the breathing issues. It was also recommended to have our pcp order a professional grade breathing machine from a medical supply store for home use.

First thing this morning I called our peditrician and they worked us in at 9:45. However, the pediatrician completely disagreed with the ER doctor, saying that he thought it was allergies? I, by no means hold a medical degree, but am having difficulty understanding how allergies alone could cause breathing problems to this degree. But, again, who knows? I think we'll try for a second opinion. I'll be working on getting in to another peditrician tomorrow.

I'm so frustrated and really don't know what to do. I'm afraid that if it isn't treated properly, that it will turn into pneumonia.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I myself have difficulty in breathing and really allergic to dust. I noticed it when I cleaning my old books and when I sweep the floor. And when it getting worse I was prescribed by doctor for becotide inhaler in pills forms and now frequently using pressurised inhaler. Your son so cute.. don't get asthma .. it is really a handicap..don't let him play with the dog's/cat's furr too...

http://mold-allergysymptoms.blogspot.com/

Sarah and Brad said...

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon with Aden...it does sounds very frustrating. Poor little guy!!

April said...

I hope he is better! I agree with you it is probably not allergies I hope you get to the bottom of this!

Jennifer Napier said...

Stick with your gut feeling. I went through this with Alyssa and had we NOT gotten a nebulizer for the house, we would have been in a BAD situation. She has constant breathing problems. She's had RSV once and pneumonia twice, and she's not even 2 yet. Please call me if you have some questions. Who is Aden's pediatrician? Also, I'm not sure what kind of insurance he has, but most insurance companies will buy the machine outright. They are only about $150 anyway, but it saves the insane monthly rental fee of like $50. Good luck, hon!

Jennifer Napier said...

Oh, and I meant to add... the inhaler doesn't do anything for Alyssa. I've tried everything, but it just doesn't work well enough to help her breathe, but I notice an immediate difference within seconds of starting a breathing treatment with the nebulizer. Just wanted to throw that out there so you don't depend on the inhaler 100% in an emergency.